The Purpose Of The Program And How It Works
Established in 2000, the NFCSP provides grants to states and territories, based on their share of the population age 70 and over, to fund a range of supports that assist family and informal caregivers to care for their loved ones at home for as long as possible.
NFCSP grantees provide five types of services:
information to caregivers about available services
assistance to caregivers in gaining access to the services
individual counseling, organization of support groups, and caregiver training
respite care and
supplemental services, on a limited basis
These services work in conjunction with other state and community-based services to provide a coordinated set of supports. Studies have shown that these services can reduce caregiver depression, anxiety, and stress as well as enable caregivers to provide care longer, thereby avoiding or delaying the need for costly institutional care.
Fannie Mae And Freddie Mac Loans
For mortgage loans backed by Fannie Mae and Freddie Mac, the Federal Housing Finance Agency has extended the foreclosure moratorium on real estate owned evictions until Sept 30, 2021. REO properties are bank-owned properties that were seized as a result of default.
Meanwhile, the Secretaries of USDA, HUD, VA, Treasury, and FHFA Acting Director extended foreclosure moratoriums for those agencies through Sept. 30, 2021.
This Type Of Federal Grant Does Not Require An Application
Every grant from the federal government involves an application submitted through a government website, such as Grants.gov. Also, you cannot apply for federal grants over the phone or via email. Any individual claiming that a grant does not require an application, or requires only a phone call or an email, is attempting to scam you.
Also Check: How Do I Get A Grant To Start A Trucking Company
How They Try To Trick You
Whether you see them in your local paper or a national magazine, or receive direct phone callscon artists generally follow a familiar script to gain access to your bank accounts or to get you to make unnecessary one-time payments to them.
Look and listen for these tell-tale lines:
- “This grant/scholarship is guaranteed or your money back.”
- “You can’t get this information anywhere else.”
- “I just need your credit card or bank account number to hold this grant/scholarship.”
- “We’ll do all the work. You just pay a processing fee.”
- “The grant/scholarship will just cost you a one-time fee.”
- “You’ve been selected” or “you are eligible” to receive a grant/scholarship.
People who run scams often claim to provide help and sometimes claim to be “federal government” officialsdont be fooled by these scams that request money from you. It is illegal to ask you to pay to apply for or to increase your odds of being awarded a federal grant.
Be careful to watch for scammers that falsely use HHS symbols and language to trick you and others. Fraudsters in the past have used the words and letters of HHS programs to give the false impression that their costly seminars or pay-per-use grant application tools are approved, endorsed, or authorized by HHS. HHS never endorses or uses private companies or individuals for these purposes.
Know All About The Grants And Programs Available For Canadian Homeowners
Although most Canadians prefer to stay in their own homes post-retirement , many feel pressured to consider other options due to lack of sufficient funds or for medical reasons. Whether it is the increased life expectancy, the ever-inflating costs of living, or the lack of proper financial planning, many Canadians find it difficult to lead a comfortable life with their retirement savings alone.
- Two-thirds of the Canadian workforce does not have a workplace pension.
- Private savings options, such as Registered Retirement Savings Plans do not make up for the shortfall in retirement savings.
However, did you know that the Canadian government offers over 100 different types of grants, rebates and tax credits across provinces, which are meant to help Canadians retain their homeownership or tenancy? Every Canadian province runs its own incentives and programs to help Canadians:
- Save money
- Be self-reliant
- Enjoy the improved quality of life
From grants for home repairs and renovations to property tax credits, write-offs and special needs assistance, Canadian provincial governments are addressing various aspects of Canadians 55+ living at home.
Don’t Miss: City Of Las Vegas Government Jobs
Cons Of Student Financial Aid
- Loan repayment required
- Lifetime limits on Pell Grants
- Private loans are more expensive and restrictive
- Defaulting on loans hurts credit
Due to the COVID-19 pandemic, student loan payments, including principal and interest, on federally held student loans were automatically suspended through Sept. 30, 2021. This was further extended by President Joe Biden until Jan. 31, 2022. However, the suspension only applies to federal student loans held by the Department of Education.
The Department of Education also stopped the collection of defaulted federal student loans. This applies to loans in nonpayment. As a result, garnishment of wages and any offset of tax refunds and Social Security benefits have also been stopped through Jan. 31, 2022.
The American Rescue Plan passed by Congress and signed by President Biden in March 2021 includes a provision that makes all student loan forgiveness from Jan. 1, 2021, to Dec. 31, 2025, tax-free.
Submitting Application Package As An Organization
Not all organizations qualify to receive grants. If your organization is not a government, education, public housing, and not for profit organization, your organization must match SBA’s size standards in order to qualify to apply for grants.
Organization application process:
Obtain a DUNS number. This is a unique 9-digit identification number provided by Dun and Bradstreet for your organization. This is a mandatory step and will take up to 2 business days to complete. Register with the System for Award Management . The United States utilize SAM to manage funding applications for organizations. This is a mandatory step and will take up to 4 weeks to complete. Complete the register form as an organization on grants.gov and obtain a username and password. Submit the application package containing all of the materials required by the funding opportunity. Obtain a tracking number. Track the status of the application with the tracking number.
Don’t Miss: City Of Las Vegas Government Jobs
About The Home Care Packages Program
The program supports older people with complex care needs to live independently in their own homes.
It uses a consumer-directed care approach to make sure the support suits a persons needs and goals.
The support is provided through a Home Care Package a coordinated mix of services that can include:
- help with household tasks
- minor home modifications
- personal care
- clinical care such as nursing, allied health and physiotherapy services.
There are 4 levels of Home Care Packages from level 1 for basic care needs to level 4 for high care needs.
The Australian Government provides funding for Home Care Packages under the:
If youre an older person and want to find out more, go to about Home Care Packages on the My Aged Care website. To find out if you’re eligible for government-funded aged care services, you can apply for an assessment online.
Home Care Packages Program
The Australian Government subsidises organisations to provide home care services to eligible older people. As an approved provider of Home Care Packages, make sure you understand how funding works, the fees you can charge, and what your responsibilities are.
Read Also: Government Dental Grants For Seniors
How Government Grant Scammers Try To Trick You
- Scammers reach you in lots of ways. You might see ads online for government grants. Scammers might call you, but use a fake caller ID so it looks like theyre calling from a federal or state government agency. Some send texts or emails, saying you may qualify for free money from the government.
- Scammers make big promises. They might say you can use this so-called free money or grant to pay for education, home repairs, home business expenses, household bills, or other personal needs.
- Scammers try to look official. Besides faking their phone number, theyll pretend theyre with a real government agency like the Social Security Administration. Or, theyll make up an official-sounding name of a government agency, like the Federal Grants Administration, which doesnt exist.
- Scammers ask you for information or money. Government grant scammers might start by asking for personal information, like your Social Security number, to see if you qualify for the grant . Then theyll ask for your bank account information maybe to deposit grant money into your account or to pay for up-front fees. But sometimes, scammers will ask you to pay those fees with a gift card, cash reload card, money transfer, or with cryptocurrency. And thats always a scam.
- Scammers try to be convincing. They might even promise a refund if you arent satisfied. But thats a lie. Once you give your bank account information, or pay fees, your money will disappear. And, youll never see the grant they promise.
Who Oversees The Program
The Department of Health manages and develops policy for the program. We also:
- review the program to ensure it continues to meet the changing needs of older Australians
- administers payments to providers on our behalf
- reviews and adjusts fee, subsidy and supplement rates
- provides online claiming services for providers.
- assesses and monitors home care services to make sure they meet quality standards
- resolves complaints made about these services.
Don’t Miss: City Of Las Vegas Government Jobs
Great News You Are Eligible To Receive A Government Grant
The government does not contact individuals to award grants for which there has been no application. An individual who makes this claim is not from the government and could be trying to collect private personal data from you, such as your Social Security number, bank account number or other such information.
Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program
SNAP helps needy families supplement their food budget in order to move toward self-sufficiency. Eligibility is determined by individual states that administer the program. You apply in the state where you live by contacting your state agency.
Some states allow online applications, while others require your physical presence. See further information in the special COVID-19 Food Program Waivers section below.
In 2021, the USDA increased the average SNAP benefit nationwide by an average of $36 per person per month.
Also Check: Possible Careers For History Majors
Employers Benefits And Pensions
It’s possible that the person in your care is eligible for a pension or benefits from a previous employer. These can be great sources of income to help pay for the care they require. Ask the person for a list of their previous employers and contact them to determine if the person in your care is eligible for extra pensions or benefits.
Are You Eligible For These Programs
- Age: While most provinces define eligibility as someone who is 65 years or older, a few provinces have a lower threshold of 55 years. You must turn that age in the year of taxation, in order to be eligible to apply for any of the programs.
- Income: Your individual or familys combined annual income may be taken into account to establish your eligibility for the definition of low-income in your province.
Do check the specific qualifying criteria for each program on your provincial website. If you are a Veteran or a First Nations member, some additional incentives may also be applicable.
Don’t Miss: City Jobs Las Vegas Nevada
The Emergency Solutions Grant Program
The ESG program provides funding to:
- Engage and offer services to homeless individuals and families living on the street
- Improve the number and quality of emergency shelters for homeless individuals and families and to help operate these shelters
- Provide essential services to shelter residents
- Rapidly re-house homeless individuals and families and
- Prevent families and individuals from becoming homeless
The funding is provided to non-profit agencies or units of government through a grant application and award process.
The ESG program runs on the federal fiscal year . The funding varies from year to year and is determined at the federal level.,
ESG is regulated by 24 CFR Part 576 and by the States ESG Policy and Procedure Manual.
What Types Of Grants Support Canadians Living At Home
The grants that support Canadians aging in place contribute to the safety, accessibility and cost efficiency of your home. However, they are not applicable to cosmetic projects undertaken to increase the value or look of your home. Here are some of the home living needs that the various programs address.
Read Also: Government Programs To Stop Foreclosure
Grants For Families And Carerssupport And Information
Care for the Family is a national charity which aims to promote strong family life and to help those who face family difficulties.
Care for the Familys befriending service offers understanding and support to parents of children with additional needs.
All befrienders are trained and are, themselves, parents of children with additional needs who can share insights and encouragement from their own personal experiences.
Nicola who coordinates the Additional Needs project, has many years experience in working with families where there is a child with additional needs and understands the challenges parents face.
Through the befriending service, many parents have found it a huge help to speak with someone who has been there too.
Here are some comments:
Talking with another parent in a similar situation helps me to deal with the well-meaning but often inappropriate comments from other parents around me who just dont get it.
Strangely, off-loading my emotions and sharing practical issues with someone who had an understanding really helped me and my relationship with other family members.
Care for the Family provided a network to help me raise my child so I am no longer just one mum in isolation.
If you would like to be put in touch with a trained befriender, please telephone: 029 2081 0800
For more information on the Additional Needs Support please visit the website.
Social Security Disability Insurance Benefits
Social Security Disability Insurance benefits are paid to people who cannot work for at least one year due to a medical condition or who are expected to die from that condition.
To be eligible, you must:
- Have worked in a job or jobs covered by Social Security
- Meet Social Securitys definition of disability
- Have worked long enough and recently enough to qualify for disability benefits
Additional information about SSDI can be found in the Social Security Disability Benefits brochure. The Social Security Disability Planner helps you determine if you are eligible. If you believe you qualify, you can apply online.
Also Check: Good Jobs For History Majors
Home Care Package Funding
The total amount of funding in a Home Care Package budget is made up of:
- the Government subsidy, including supplements for specific care needs if a person is eligible
- basic daily fees, payable by everyone who receives a package
- income-tested care fees, payable by people who have income over a certain amount
- amounts for additional care and services, payable if a person wants extra services that the package funding would not otherwise cover
The Government and the care recipient pay these amounts directly to the provider.
Unemployment Insurance And Covid
Unemployment insurance is a joint federal and state program that pays part of your wages when you lose your job through no fault of your own. Individual states run the program, each with its own eligibility and filing requirements. Many allow you to file online, by phone, orin person, though the COVID-19 pandemic has temporarily halted in-person applications in many places. Some states provide extended benefits when unemployment is high. But that doesn’t necessarily mean you qualify for extended help.
The federal government provided relief for unemployed individuals during the pandemic through three special programs:
All three of these programs officially expired on Sept. 5, 2021. Eligible individuals may still qualify for unemployment claims as long as they are still unemployed and are within the first 26 weeks of their UI benefits.
Read Also: Government Jobs In Las Vegas Area
Client Assessment And Approval
Clients who are eligible for a home support subsidy indicate their preferred home support delivery option. Clients indicating a preference for the Paid Family Caregiving Option will be granted the option providing their assessment indicates that it is a viable option for them and there is a subsidy available under the option. The process for assessment and approval is: