Federal State Or Local Civil Service Exams
Civil service exams differ between the different branches of the government, and even between states, counties, and municipalities. Some positions have unique types of tests.
For example, some federal agencies, such as the FBI and the postal services, develop and conduct their own federal exams.
State civil service exams usually determine the nature of the local municipal government exams, since the state determines the judicial system of all of its counties and municipalities. It is recommended to find specific exam information in the relevant civil service commission website. Check out the map below to learn more about your state civil service exam.
Whats On A Civil Service Test
That will vary, depending on the position you apply for. Air traffic controllers, for example, have stiff education and training requirements in addition to the test. Here are some other examples:
- The United States Post Office exam focuses, in part, on address-related issues, such as whether a candidate can determine if two addresses are identical. Candidates are tested on address checking, forms completion, coding, memory and inventory of personal experience and characteristics.
- Clerical exams focus on grammar, vocabulary, spelling, word relationships and reading. Youll likely see problem-solving questions that include addition, subtraction, multiplication and division. You may be presented with a group of words and asked which one is spelled correctly. Youll also likely find questions that will ask you to identify sentences that contain proper grammar.
In short, each test measures an applicants strengths based on the job theyre applying for.
What Kind Of Drug Tests Are Given For Civil Service Jobs
Posted: Jun 28, 2018 · A civil service job applicant who refuses to take a drug test, or fails it, is ineligible for a government job, and may not be allowed to retest later. In Michigan, a positive test or refusal to take a mandatory drug test results in an applicants disqualification from consideration for a civil service job for three years.
Read Also: How To Apply For Government Subsidized Housing
What Does The Civil Service Exam Cover
Civil service exams vary somewhat according to specific jobs, with each exam emphasizing relevant skills. If you’re wondering how long the civil service exam is, rest assured that they typically only last a few hours.
In general, civil service exam questions cover the necessary skills that anyone working in the public sector should have:
As a whole, the math section isn’t any more difficult or advanced than college-level gen-ed algebra. Pro-tip: Remember your “PEMDAS” the helpful acronym for the order of operations: parenthesis, exponents, multiplication, division, addition, subtraction.
Proficiency in specific software, such as Microsoft Excel or Word, might be tested if it is relevant to the job.
It is also worth noting that many civil service jobs require applicants to hold specific degrees or certifications. If you don’t have the required degree, the sooner you earn it, the better. Online degrees are often the most convenient and affordable option.
- For those interested in being an accountant for the IRS, check out the Best Online Bachelor’s in Accounting Degree Programs.
- If you’d like to become a civil litigation paralegal, check out the Best Online Paralegal Programs.
What Washington States Marijuana Legalization Means For
Posted: Share the information and test results with others on a need-to-know basis only. The wrap-up: Worker safety, employee privacy, personal health, team productivity, employer liability, government regulations: the list of concerns and rights seems almost endless as we ponder the issues surrounding alcohol, drugs, and the workplace.
Don’t Miss: Data Strategy Vs Data Governance
Who Can Administer Civil Service Tests
Civil service employers at multiple levels can administer tests to meet their hiring objectives. Depending on who your employer is, you will take your test at one of the levels below:
- FederalFederal civil service employers have a significant number of job posts available across the US on a regular basis. Examples of such employers include the Federal Bureau of Investigation, the United States Secret Service, the United States Postal Service, and any federal office building that requires any clerical staff to operate. Two popular federal civil service exams in the US include the FBI Special Agent Exam Phase I Test and the Secret Service Special Agent Entrance Exam.
- StateIndividual states across the US are major civil service employers as well. For instance, the Pennsylvania State Civil Service Commission announces a variety of available jobs across the state. At the same time, it administers its own civil service examinations through the Pennsylvania State Integrated Computerized Examination System. As a result, applicants, regardless of the county within the Commonwealth of Pennsylvania, take the same civil service tests.
- LocalIn some states across the US, counties and cities can be major civil service employers too. In the case of California, the California Department of Human Resources announces a significant portion of civil service job positions. At the same time, it administers its own civil service tests for these positions through the Merit System Services.
Free Online Mock Test
Posted: We provide will all types of mock tests which are helpful for RBI, SSC, IBPS, IB, RRB and Various other examinations. If you are scoring badly in examinations dont worry we are here to help you. Take our online free mock test series available here. We are providing you with various Online mock tests like UPSC, IB, TNPSC, and various other exams.
You May Like: Government Job Openings In Atlanta Ga
Provincial Public Service Employment
If you are interested in local public service careers can find job listings and vacancies on the individual provinces website. Local assessment methods for Canada public service hiring frequently consist of certain public service exams and an interview by a Selection Panel that determines whether the candidate possesses the required skills for the job.
List Of Medical Tests
Height and Weight Measurement:Minimum height and weight are taken generally at beginning of every medical examination. Medical and paramedical posts do not require minimum height etc but still this helps to keep the records and also to determine if the height weight ratio is normal. The candidate will be weighed and his weight is recorded in kilograms.Urine test : This test is simple test. Urine sample is taken to detect any abnormality. Takes 5 minutes.Blood Test: Blood test before fasting and after fasting also done to detect any abnormal fall or rise in blood cells which happen during several diseases. This test can also be used to detect HIV.Blood pressure: Blood pressure is measured and noted in your medical examination. The Candidate should try not to get over stressed otherwise the doctor may ask more questions and may conduct further tests.ECGSimple Test for monitoring the activity of heart.Lungs Test:Lungs are checked with a stethoscope or spirometer. During test the doctor may ask you to breathe normally or at a faster rate.Diabetes Test: Some departments conduct this test to rule out presence of the Diabetes Mellitus.ENT Test:Ear, Nose and throat are checked by an ENT specialist to detect if they are functioning normally.Eye Checkup:
For colour blindness you will be required to identify numbers written as coloured dots in coloured background. Please remember some pages have no alphabets.
Don’t Miss: Free Grant Money For Home Improvements Government
How To Prepare For The Civil Service Exam
If you want to pass the civil service exam, it pays to study up. You will need knowledge and experience in your chosen field, but also general knowledge, critical thinking skills, and time management skills.
The exam is timed, and you must complete the entire exam. It’s better to answer all of the questions, even if you feel iffy about some of the answers, because civil service exams don’t typically deduct points for wrong answers.
A few study guides are available for practice:
You should prepare for the exam like you would any other exam. Learn what sections will be included and how you will be tested. Then make a study guide to help you prepare.
Keep in mind that some civil service jobs, like firefighter, require applicants to demonstrate fitness benchmarks and pass physical tests, so you might need to break up study sessions with working out.
Of course, the civil service exam is only one part of the civic job application process. You also need a solid resume and strong interview skills. Check out our resume and interview tips.
For more tips and insights into landing the job you want, visit our Career Counselor.
What Is The Civil Service Exam
The US version of the civil service system is rooted in 19th century America. The first civil service exam was developed in line with the merit-based system adopted by the Civil Service Commission. The Civil Service Commission ultimately became a bureaucratic nightmare in need of the massive overhaul, which eventually resulted in the Civil Service Reform Act of 1978.
The civil service exam is an essential testing tool used by government agencies for job applicants applying for those civil service jobs that still require applicants to take the exam.
If you are applying for a civil service job that requires you to take the civil service exam, simply view it as one of the steps required within the government hiring process. The government hiring processes can differ considerably from those within the private sector, so it is a smart idea to understand the hiring process differences. This advice is most important to those job applicants who have yet to have an opportunity to apply for a government job.
While each civil service test may differ , the objective of the civil service test is to act as a general screening test that evaluates if a test taker meets the governments defined civil service minimum requirements.
The reality is the civil service exam is just the first step in the hiring process. The final hiring decision is determined after the hiring division has reviewed your resume & references and conducted in-person interviews.
Online Tests Mcq’s Preparations
Posted: Govt Job Online Mcqs Test Preparation: Governmentjob.pk giving online test designed to prepared aptitude test for candidates and School online Test, FSc online test for student. Hence the best quiz test preparation by our online quizzes examination website are highly proficient in introducing the subject wise online MCQs test e.g. English, Maths, Physics,
Other Tests Through Psc
- Post-Secondary Recruitment: The Post-Secondary Recruitment program launches careers for university and college graduates by offering a range of jobs within the federal government of Canada. Learn how to prepare for PSR Exams.
- Graduate Recruitment Test: The Graduate Recruitment Test was apart of the PSR program. This exam is still used by some hiring department. Learn how to prepare for the GRT.
- Canadian Food Inspection Agency: The Canadian Food Inspection Agency has a variety of job opportunities dependent upon your academic background or professional interests. You can find career opportunities in policy development, regulatory, science & technology, security, or service delivery. Learn more about the CFIA Exams.
- Canadian Revenue Agency: The Canadian Revenue Agency is a Public Service employer that comprises over 40,000 professionals in fields ranging from auditing, to information technology, to accounting, to finance. Find out more about the CRA Exams.
Theres A Lot To Unpack Whats The Best Study Tool I Can Get
Youre right. Theres a lot of information for anyone who wants to be a civil servant to consider. Thats why Mometrix has created study tools to help you prepare for this important exam. Remember, this is your career were taking about, and you need the best. Our Civil Service Exam study guide walks you through the questions youll likely see on the exam, and offers test taking tips. The best way not to get overwhelmed is to get these study materials.
Take Control And Pass Your Public Service Exam
PublicServicePrepâs unique program provides practice exams and interview preparation for various federal government and private sector positions. At PublicServicePrep we continuously work closely with government agencies and colleges to ensure that our clients receive high quality training and gain the advantage needed to get these highly competitive jobs. Our company is dedicated to helping you get a rewarding and lasting career!
What Is A Civil Service Test
The civil service test is a pre-employment screening procedure. As such, it places your aptitude for the available position under assessment. With its help, employers can quickly determine whether you qualify for the job post. As a result, testing has become a mainstay of the civil service hiring process.
Civil service testing has gained much popularity because of its inherent ability to provide objective and accurate aptitude evaluation. Serving as a pillar of the merit system, it ensures the integrity of civil service personnel selection and promotion. Civil service tests provide you with a bias-free way to prove you are competent enough for recruitment or promotion.
Government Jobs Preparation With Free Practice
Posted: Cracking SSC, SBI, SAIL, BHEL, CTET, IBPS PO Exams is not easy. Y4w is a leading online government exam test portal in India offering free Practice, Mock and Aptitude Tests for Government examinations specially designed for government job exams to give you the competitive edge over other candidates.
Check Your Wpm Typing Speed Here
To find out how fast you type, just start typing in the blank textbox on the right of the test prompt. You will see your progress, including errors on the left side as you type.
You can fix errors as you go, or correct them at the end with the help of the spell checker. If you need to restart the test, delete the text in the text box. Interactive feedback shows you your current wpm and accuracy.
In order to complete the test and share your results, you need to get 100% accuracy. You can review your progress for this session with the feedback chart below. Just hover over a dot to see what your average speed and accruacy are for that key.
We Provide The Following Three Options:
The Insiders Guide Platinum Study Package includes:
Platinum Study Package
- Includes 3 year money-back guarantee
- Delivered to your email address within minutes.
- Two complete practice exams for the Public Service Entrance Exam.
- Three complete practice exams for the Graduate Recruitment Test.
- One complete practice exam for the Written Communication Proficiency Test.
- A discounted copy of The Insiders Guide of Getting a Job in the Canadian Government.
- The extremely popular copy of The Insiders Guide special report on resume and cover letters.
Below is a description of the products included in the package:
1) The full Public Service Entrance Exam study guide including:
- Two full practice exams A total of 148 questions written by test professionals with an in-depth knowledge of the test structure of the PSEE. Note: These practice exams cover all of the material in the Test of Reasoning and the Test of Judgement in the Public Service Entrance Exam.
- Insiders tips on what to focus on to ensure you succeed in each category of questions.
- A full answer key explaining how the answer for each question is derived.
2) The full Graduate Recruitment Test study guide including:
- Three full practice tests A total of 165 questions written by test professionals who are familiar with the test structure of the GRT.
- A full answer key clearly explaining how the answer for each question is derived.
3) The Insiders guide Written Communication Proficiency Test including:
Government Exams Practice Tests
Ready for the next step? Looking to practice for government exams? It’s time to prepare with JobTestPrep. Our expertly made practice-packs are now available, complete with custom-made government test questions, answers, and detailed explanations to help you efficiently prepare for your federal civil service test. Want to get a taste and see what we’re all about? Try our free civil service sample questions.
Im A Veteran What Programs Are Available To Me
Veterans can receive preference points and may be eligible for the Veterans Recruitment Appointment Rule. Veterans who meet certain criteria can have an additional five or 10 points added to their final Civil Service Exam passing score. Under the Veterans Recruitment Appointment Rule, veterans can be appointed to white collar posts without competing with other applicants.
Civil Service Study Guide Customer Success Stories
Easy to read. Organized. Great tips and practice exams.
Civil Service Exam Secrets is nothing short of amazing, informative, and easy to follow. It has prepared me for my exam and I keep getting better and better at the practice exams. It has enabled me to feel confident in going in to take my exam. I feel ready and prepared and most of all, I know what to expect. Thank you so much for putting out this wonderful product that is definitely worth the money spent, and then some.
Love this guide book! I cannot believe how much it has changed my way of attacking the Civil Service test! This has lessened my anxiety and I feel more confident in taking the tests. The best study sections for me was the Analogies and the Mathematics. What a great refresher and techniques!
People told me it’s a hard test to take, so with some research, I came across ” civil service exam, secrets study guide”. This book has truly been a blessing in disguise. If your test score don’t improve after studying this book, I don’t know what will.
This is a very useful and very informative guide. Very helpful tips I can’t wait to take my civil service exam in a few weeks. I think this guide along with its tips has prepared me for the exam… this is an awesome book very well put together and full of useful tips. I highly recommend this if you are having trouble with passing the civil service exam.