How To Get Free Government Phones
Getting a free government phone is easy if you meet the income guidelines. Because of the economic downturn in the country as a whole, many Americans have been hit hard financially. The nation has been suffering as a result of the recession, leading to higher rates of poverty in every state. As a result of the economic crisis, many people feel that cell phones are luxury items that are not affordable.
Thankfully, the Lifeline Assistance program exists to assist qualified Americans in obtaining a free government phone. These phones have become known as Obama Phones and have swept the nation in an attempt to offer free service to people who earn lower than average levels of income.
Tips For Choosing The Best Provider
There are a couple of things you must consider when choosing a cell phone company. Some of the notable things to look at include the rate of calls, data plans, and text messages. You also need to look at the coverage and other factors like the reputation of the provider, regional coverage, contract length, and good customer service.
Why Free Cell Phone Is Necessary For Seniors And The Disabled Citizen
For free cellphones, the government considers only the disabled with limited income and the abandoned seniors above 65 years. They provide the phones along with free services. Below are the reasons why the government saw it necessary to provide a free phone to eligible seniors and the disabled.
Don’t Miss: What Government Grants Are Available
What Is The Difference Between An Unlocked And A Carrier
An unlocked flip phone for seniors can be used with any service provider/ carrier, such as Verizon, AT& T, Sprint, as long as the phone supports the GSM/CDMA bands they operate on. On the other hand, a carrier-locked phone can only work on the specific-carrier it is bundled with. For instance, a phone locked with AT& T will only work with AT& T SIM cards unless the carrier unlocks it.
Do Seniors Want A Basic Phone Or A Smartphone
The answer to this question will depend on the level of technology and advanced features that elderly are comfortable with. Let me talk about the principles e first. If the elderly can learn well, they can buy smart phones. Because smartphone has all the latest features like mobile apps, video chatting, internet access, GPS tracking, and a touchscreen.
Users can use their smart phones to watch videos, watch news, and make video calls with their grandchildren. The elderly are more likely to feel lonely, and having a smart phone can improve the quality of life of the elderly to some extent. And, although the elderly slower to learn new things as they get older, they will use it once they have learned it. Nowadays, smart phones are not expensive. You can buy smart phones suitable for the elderly within 200 dollars. The performance is sufficient for the elderly. Therefore, if the elderly are not too old to learn, try to buy a smart phone.
If youre worried that a smart phone will be too confusing or have lots of complicated bells and whistles, a basic phone will be your best bet. Basic options like senior flip phones allow you to send texts, make calls, and take pictures, and you can add a few extra features if you like. According to my experience, grandparents over 70 years old generally buy feature phones.
You May Like: Data Strategy Vs Data Governance
Greatcall Jitterbug Flip Phone
The Jitterbug flip phone has been designed just for seniors. It has large buttons with legible numbers to make it easier to dial any numbers. It uses simple YES and NO buttons to accept and reject calls. The speakerphone is powered by a good-quality speaker that provides clear audio and loud output. This phone runs on the virtual-network GreatCall, which uses Verizon wireless service. You can pick any of the GreatCall offered plans to use with this phone.
This senior flip phone has a simple and easy to use the menu. It has a special reading magnifier and an LED flashlight to make reading easier in dimly lit settings. The phone is integrated with the cab-integrator app Lyft, and you can set it so that just pressing the 0 key will call a cab for you.
Selecting The Best Offer
When you determine which companies offer phones in your area, you must next visit the websites of the companies that distribute these phones. Many of the providers that offer phones in different states vary what their programs offer each individual consumer, so you may need to shop around at each of their websites in order to determine which has the best deal.
Some providers give you the 250 minutes as part of the government program, but also offer additional minutes at a reduced rate. In addition, some of the providers may also offer texting at reduced rates.
You May Like: Practice Test For Government Jobs
What Is The Lifeline Assistance Program
Lifeline Assistance is the Federal Communication Commission’s long running program designed to provide equal access to phone service for all Americans. It specifically caters to low-income residents who may not otherwise be able to afford a cell phone device or plan. The program entitles those who are eligible to wireless service for $9.25/month. It also applies to internet service, also priced at $9.25/month.
You can read more about the Lifeline program here.
Best For Taking Notes
- Beautiful design and solid build
- Excellent photo quality at up to 10x zoom
- Equipped for next-gen C-band and Wi-Fi 6E connectivity
- Three levels of feature restrictions
- Lacks band 71 for T-Mobile
- Long-term support not guaranteed
- Solid performance for the price
- Excellent battery life
- Good audio and call quality
- All networks bands for global usage
Free Phones For Seniors
Are you eligible to get free cell phones for seniors?Below are some of the qualified government assistance programs
- Temporary Assistance for Needy Families .
- Low-Income Home Energy Assistance Program .
- Supplementary Security Income .
- Food Stamps.
Recommended:How to Get a Free Cell Phone with a Free Cell Phone Service Plan?
Government Free Phone Providers
Safelink Wirelessfree cell phone service for seniorsSafelink phone replacementSafelink Wireless offers
- Free 350 minutes, free unlimited texts, and free 3GB of data every month.
- Nationwide coverage on high-speed wireless networks.
- Free calls to 911, and 411.
- You get a free SIM card.
- You can bring your own phone.
Safelink Wireless Government Free Phones for Seniors service StatesAssurance WirelessAssurance Wireless Free Phones Service StatesLife Wireless
- You get free 1000 minutes, unlimited texts , plus 3GB of data per month.
- Nationwide cell phone Coverage.
- Features like: Caller ID, Call Waiting, Voicemail, and 3-way calling.
- No domestic long distance charges.
- No roaming charges.
- Free smartphone for certain residents.
What states does Life Wireless Serve?Free Cell Phones for Seniors Verizon
You May Like: How To Apply For Government Subsidized Housing
Cintex Wireless Free Government Iphone
- A free smartphone.
- A free cell phone plan that includes unlimited talk, text, and data.
NoteYou May Also Like
- Apple iPhone 6 CDMA.
- LG Stylo 5 for $25 instead of $144.
- LG Stylo Q7 Plus for $60 instead of $180.
- LG Stylo 6 for $60 instead of $192.
- LG think Q 5G for $210 instead of $480.
- Motorola Moto G7 Play for $35 instead of $120.
- Samsung Galaxy A01 for $45 instead of $132.
- Samsung Galaxy S8 GSM for $50 instead of $216.
- Samsung Galaxy A11 for $60 instead of $180.
- Samsung Galaxy S9 GSM for $80 instead of $264.
- Apple iPhone 7 GSM for $55 instead of $250.
- Google Pixel 4 for $90 instead of $240.
- Google Pixel 4XL for $130 instead of $300.
- Oneplus 7 Pro for $110 instead of $300.
- Motorola Razr 5G for $610 instead of $950.
Cintex Wireless Phone Upgrade 2021Cintex Wireless offers up to 80% discount on many smartphones from brands like Samsung, Apple, LG, Motorola, and LG.Cintex Wireless Phones for Sale
What Kind of phone does Cintex Wireless offer?How to activate My Cintex Wireless phone?Cintex Wireless Customer Service
Best Smartphones For Seniors
1. iPhone 7
iPhone 7 user-friendly interface and its easily accessible operating system feature make the best and ideal Smartphone for seniors. I call it unbeatable.
Features integrated are as below
- It has a bright and colorful 4.7-inch LCD screen
- It has dual speakers,
- Available in either 32 GB or 128 GB of storage, depending on the specific model you get. Even in low light, both front and rear cameras tend to take high-quality pictures
2. Samsung Galaxy J3
It is a low-cost Smartphone among all Samsung series, which is compatible with the 4g network. Isnt it like cherry on the top? Features integrated into this phone are as follows
- Long-lasting battery
- 16 GB of internal storage
- MicroSD card slot
- The front and rear cameras are capable of taking clear and decent pictures even in low lighting.
- High Definition quality. It can film full in HD.
3. Motorola Moto E4
It offers valuable and outstanding quality to seniors within their budget. Its light in weight having water repellent coating on its screen.
- It has a five-inch HD display
- It has reasonable call quality,
- Have both front and rear-facing cameras.
- It has an exceptionally long-lasting battery that can be removed, if necessary it can replaced whenever required.
- It comes with a fingerprint sensor that allows you to unlock the phone with a simple touch.
4. Jitterbug Smartphone
Jitterbug is the best any senior can have. This Android Smartphone Jitterbug phone has very simplified features i.e.
Recommended Reading: Government Assistance For Pregnant Mothers Texas
S To Getting A Free Government Phone
In order to get a free cell phone through the government program, you must first check to see if you qualify based on your income. Eligibility rules differ by state, but are similar. A good rule of thumb is that if you qualify for a state assistance program like SNAP, Supplemental Security Income , Free School Lunch program, Medicaid, Low Income Home Energy Assistance Program , Tribal programs, or Temporary Assistance to Needy Families , then you may already qualify to receive telephone assistance. In addition to those state-funded programs, you can qualify for the free phone program if your income is below 135 percent of the Federal Poverty Level. This percentage is as high as 150 percent of the poverty level in some states.
Features Of Free Cell Phones For The Senior
Free cell phones for the senior and disabled are different from the normal free cell phone. I mean, phone providers always ensure that the elderly cell phone is designed with special features that are easy to use. These features are :
Recommended Reading: What Is Government Mortgage Relief Program
Lifeline Assistance: Free Government Cell Phone Service For Senior Citizens
The Lifeline Assistance program is a government benefit program that was developed during the Reagan Administration to provide free landline service to qualifying, low income households. In the last decade, the government has modernized the program by providing free cell phone service, instead of only landlines.
This program is available in all 50 states as well as in Native American tribal communities.
Ready to apply for your free government cell phone service? Just click the red button below to be redirected to a Lifeline provider in your area and start the easy signup process right now!
Are There Standards For 911 Emergency Services Location Accuracy And Reliability
Your handset will be able to place calls to 911 even if you have no minutes available. It is advised, by Public Safety Officials, that you should be prepared to provide information about your location when making a 911 or other emergency call. Wireless service, unlike landline phones, uses less reliable methods to place calls and to determine your phone number and location. Network coverage can be adversely affected by weather, structures, buildings, geography, etc. Because of these factors, emergency operators may not be able to determine your location or your phone number, or, you may not be able to complete a call at all. Occasionally, callers may attempt to call 911 in areas where there is no wireless coverage. If there is no wireless coverage, your call to 911 may not go though and you should dial 911 from the nearest landline phone. Enhanced 911 service, also known as E911, relies on GPS technology to obtain location information. This service is dependent on a number of factors such as the abilities of the local emergency authorities, GPS ability of your phone, whether your GPS enabled handset has GPS turned on, and your phones ability to obtain a GPS Satellite signal which can be impaired by being indoors, weather, etc. Even when available, E911 does not always provide accurate location information.
Recommended Reading: Verizon Wireless Government Phone Number
Who Qualifies Free Cell Phones For Seniors
1. Eligible citizens are those with an income of 135% or less than the federal poverty guideline based on your household size and state.
You must show proof of income by showing any of these items
- The prior years state, federal, or Tribal tax return
- Current income statement from an employer or paycheck stub
- Social Security statement of benefits
- Unemployment or Workers Compensation statement of benefits
- Federal or Tribal notice letter of participation in General Assistance
- Divorce decree, child support award, or other official document containing income information
2. You can also get Lifeline if you participates in one of these federal assistance programs:
- Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program , formerly known as Food Stamps
- Federal Public Housing Assistance
- Veterans Pension and Survivors Benefit
- Tribal Programs
Show a card, letter, or official document, as proof that you participate in one of these programs when you apply for Lifeline.
3. Only one Lifeline discount is allowed per household . If someone in your household gets Lifeline, then your company will use a household worksheet to see if more than one household lives in your address
Improve Sound With Apps Or Hearing Aid Compatibility
Multiple apps many of them free for every type of phone can act as amplifiers for sound, helping seniors clearly listen to and hear conversations with others, family videos and more. Some phones are also compatible with hearing aids, but its important to check that the two can match before making a cell phone purchase for a senior.
Also Check: Federal Government Watch List Search
Free Government Phone Locations
The best way of getting the free government phone locations is through typing your zip code. The free government phone location could be tables outside an apartment or just a raised tent.
You can sign up with a free government phone location using reach out wireless. This helps save your time you would have wasted searching for these locations.
Who Can I Contact If I Have A Complaint
You can always contact Feel Safe Wireless Customer Service if you have any questions, concerns, or complaints by dialing 611 from your Feel Safe Wireless phone or by dialing Feel Safe Wireless’ toll-free number 877-247-7799. However, you may also contact the California Public Utilities Commission’s Consumer Affairs Branch: by telephone 1-800-649-7570 or by mail CPUC Consumer Affairs Branch, 505 Van Ness Ave., San Francisco, CA 94102.
1 The Company reserves the right to refuse to provide a free handset in accordance with the Company’s Handset Policy, which limits the availability of free handsets to only one per twelve month period, per customer. Customers who are not entitled to a free handset must purchase a handset from the Company or provide their own compatible handset.
2Pursuant to D. 17-01-032, effective January 19, 2017, the California LifeLine fund will pay for no more than two activation fees per household per year . Feel Safe Wireless will be responsible for any California LifeLine participant’s activation fee that is not eligible for reimbursement from the LifeLine fund.