S To Getting A Free Government Phone
In order to get a free cell phone through the government program, you must first check to see if you qualify based on your income. Eligibility rules differ by state, but are similar. A good rule of thumb is that if you qualify for a state assistance program like SNAP, Supplemental Security Income , Free School Lunch program, Medicaid, Low Income Home Energy Assistance Program , Tribal programs, or Temporary Assistance to Needy Families , then you may already qualify to receive telephone assistance. In addition to those state-funded programs, you can qualify for the free phone program if your income is below 135 percent of the Federal Poverty Level. This percentage is as high as 150 percent of the poverty level in some states.
Who Qualifies Free Cell Phones For Seniors
1. Eligible citizens are those with an income of 135% or less than the federal poverty guideline based on your household size and state.
You must show proof of income by showing any of these items
- The prior years state, federal, or Tribal tax return
- Current income statement from an employer or paycheck stub
- Social Security statement of benefits
- Unemployment or Workers Compensation statement of benefits
- Federal or Tribal notice letter of participation in General Assistance
- Divorce decree, child support award, or other official document containing income information
2. You can also get Lifeline if you participates in one of these federal assistance programs:
- Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program , formerly known as Food Stamps
- Federal Public Housing Assistance
- Veterans Pension and Survivors Benefit
- Tribal Programs
Show a card, letter, or official document, as proof that you participate in one of these programs when you apply for Lifeline.
3. Only one Lifeline discount is allowed per household . If someone in your household gets Lifeline, then your company will use a household worksheet to see if more than one household lives in your address
Free Government Cell Phones: Which Phones You Can Get
The various carriers that participate in the Lifeline Assistance program do a pretty good job of giving their customers some great options in terms of cheap or free phones.
Unfortunately some of these carriers aren’t very forthcoming with their phone lineups until after you go through the qualification process. However, doing so will help you determine what kind of stipend you’re working with for your free or cheap government phone.
Don’t Miss: How To Make Money From Government Contracts
How To Get A Free Phone For Seniors
Are You Getting FREE Text, Calls and Data?
Join the Tens of Thousands that have already signed up for FREE Lifeline and EBB Benefits.
- Mon-Sat: 9 am – 6 pm ESTSun: Closed
Over 60 and looking for a free phone for seniors? You may be eligible for a free smartphone and free unlimited talk, text, and data through the Lifeline and EBB programs.
Keep reading to learn what these programs are and how you can get these FREE benefits.
Selecting The Best Offer
When you determine which companies offer phones in your area, you must next visit the websites of the companies that distribute these phones. Many of the providers that offer phones in different states vary what their programs offer each individual consumer, so you may need to shop around at each of their websites in order to determine which has the best deal.
Some providers give you the 250 minutes as part of the government program, but also offer additional minutes at a reduced rate. In addition, some of the providers may also offer texting at reduced rates.
Recommended Reading: Government Grants For New Windows
How To Get A Government Free Cell Phones For The Disabled
Similar to the elderly, not all disabled qualify to benefit from free cellphones from the government. To qualify, an individual should meet one of the following requirements.
- Have an income below the federal poverty level.
- Be an active member of any government aid program like the supplemental nutrition assistance program.
- Be an active member of any social security program.
Lets understand more about free cell phones for the disabled on social security programs.
Do I Qualify For A Free Government Phone With The Lifeline Program
For starters, if youre already enrolled in a government aid program, you could automatically qualify for a free government phone. Those already enrolled in any of the following programs are eligible:
- Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program
- Supplemental Security Income
- Federal Public Housing Assistance
- Tribal-specific programs: Bureau of Indian Affairs General Assistance, Tribally-Administered Temporary Assistance for Needy Families , Food Distribution Program on Indian Reservations , Head Start
If youre not enrolled in any of those government programs, youll need to prove your income is at or below 135% of the Federal Poverty Guidelines. For example, if youre the only person in your household and want to get a free government phone, youll need to prove you make less than $12,760 per year. Every extra person in your household pushes your limit up another $4,480so, essentially, the more folks you have in your household, the easier it is to qualify for a free government cell phone and inexpensive cell phone plan.
Recommended Reading: Does The Government Give Free Cell Phones
Where Do I Get A Free Government Cell Phone
Q Link Wireless is a leading provider of Lifeline, a free government benefit program that offers FREE cell phone service to eligible Americans. Q Link gives qualifying customers FREE monthly data, minutes, and unlimited texting. Qualify through programs like SNAP and Medicaid, or based on your household income.
Free Cell Phone For Seniors
How to Choose the Best Lifeline Provider?
- Find out lifeline service providers in your area.
- Compare the free cell phone options, and find out what the wireless service plan offers.
- Sing up with the provider that offers the best deal or offers a service that fits your needs.
Safelink WirelessSafelink Wireless Service AreasSafelink Wireless Free Cell Phones and Service
- Free monthly 350 minutes.
- Free monthly 3GB of data.
- Nationwide coverage on 4G LTE capable networks.
- You can bring your own phone, most of the GSM smartphones are compatible.
- Free Voicemail.
- Free SIM card.
Assurance WirelessAssurance Wireless Service AreasAssurance Wireless Free Phone ServiceQ LINK WirelessQ LINK Wireless Service StatesQ LINK Wireless Free Phone Benefits
- Free unlimited talk, and text.
- Free monthly 3GB of data.
- Nationwide coverage.
- No Contract, no Credit Check, no Bills, no Fees.
Life WirelessLife Wireless Free Phone Served StatesWhat Does Life Wireless offer?
- Free monthly 1000 minutes.
- Free up to 3GB of data per month.
- Unlimited international calling to Select Countries.
- You can bring your own phone.
California Free Cell Phones for Seniorsbest California lifeline cell phone providers
- TruConnect – free phones for seniors in California.
- Life Wireless – free cell phone service California.
- Safelink Wireless – free government phones in California.
- Check out the best California Lifeline free cell phone providers.
free government cell phones Illinois
Can Seniors Get Free Cell Phones
Older adults who live in low-income households may qualify for a free cell phone through the federal LifeLine assistance program. Originally created in 1985 to provide free landline phone service to qualifying individuals, this Federal Communication Commission program was revised in 2005 to include cellular coverage.
To qualify for the LifeLine program you must either:
- Have an income that is at or below 135 percent of the Federal Poverty Guidelines.
- Participate in one of the following federal government assistance programs:
- Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program ,
- Veterans and Survivors Pension
- Various tribal programs
Keep in mind that only one Lifeline benefit is available per household, and you must choose between landline and cell phone service.
Why Seniors Should Consider The Lifeline Assistance Program
Being an American with a low income can put you at risk for a number of different problems. However, seniors are particularly at risk because they so often live by themselves or spend much of their day alone.
While seniors who are able to live by themselves should be applauded for their independence in a time when many older people cannot live unassisted, seniors should also recognize the importance of having access to phone service, particularly for emergencies.
Senior citizens are more at risk of needing help for medical emergencies, this is even more true for those who are disabled by keeping a cell phone on their person at all times, they lower the risk of being unable to call for help should they fall or hurt themselves.
Free cell phone service for seniors provided by the Lifeline Assistance program is an easy way to keep you safe. Medical safety is not the only major concern for seniors, but also their personal safety. Having a reliable cell phone service available if you are out for a walk or feeling unsafe in your own home is key to your security.
But safety isnt the only concern for seniors. Having a social network for support is crucial to our mental health at any age, but particularly as we get older. US Census Bureau statistics suggest that nearly a third of Americans over the age of 65 live alone.
Recommended Reading: Government Funded Internet Access For All
Senior Citizen Benefits Of Subscribing To The Lifeline Program
The first benefit of applying to the Lifeline program is getting free cell phones for senior citizens. The device will include a sim card that has call and text allowances, including data for browsing the internet. Its also one of your rights as an American, so its a blessing more than a privilege.
However, the most important benefit of getting free phones for seniors is allowing them to communicate. Senior citizens are the most at risk since they usually live or spend their days and nights alone while their children tend to work and their families. It is mesmerizing how American senior citizens can live independently, so augmenting that with a service to help keep them safe is essential.
Having the means to call for help in medical emergencies is a godsend for many because of this as well. Having access to 911 in the palm of your hands or calling for support and help from a loved one is a must-have for seniors. Their health and safety are primary concerns, and thankfully, the US government recognizes it and provides an additional layer of safety.
Disabled senior users are also less at risk if they have a mobile phone on hand to make calls and texts in emergency situations. It allows them to call us if they feel unsafe and it lessens the risk of getting stuck if they are hurt and unable to get up and walk.
Free Government Cell Phone For Senior Citizens
Free government cell phone service is essential for senior citizens to help them attain comfortable and accessible daily living. Many low-income American citizens dont have access to phone or internet service simply because its out of the budget. The lack of a communications outlet prevents senior citizens from reaching out to friends and loved ones, or even asking for medical and emergency assistance.
How To Get A Free Landline Phone Service For Seniors
If you are an active member of a federal government assistance program such as:
- Federal Public Housing Assistance
- Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program
- Temporary Assistance for Needy Families .
- Supplemental Security Income
- National School Lunch Programs Free School Lunch.
- Tribally-Administered Temporary Assistance for Needy Families
- Head Start
- Food Distribution Program on Indian Reservations
- Low-Income Home Energy Assistance Program .
- Bureau of Indian Affairs General Assistance
- Food Stamps
You are also eligible if your income is under 135% of the federal poverty guidelines. The Lifeline assistance programs are only limited to one participant per household and lower internet or home phone service costs per month. Investigate if there is a wireless service provider in your area that provides the Lifeline Assistance program.
This will help you to determine if you are eligible for cheap landline phone service for seniors. With a free phone, you will be exempted from connection charges, sign a yearly agreement, make a deposit or pay a monthly service charge. You must obtain yearly certification to prove you are a low-income earner to continue receiving the services.
Safelink Wireless Phone Service For Seniors
SafeLink is among the largest and the oldest government free cell phone companies in the United States that also provide free landline phone services for seniors. To become eligible, you need to be part of a federal assistance program, or your household is below the poverty guidelines. You must live in the United States and provide a valid physical address while applying. Post office addresses are unacceptable, and you must present documents that back up your income status. The same process applies to a free cell phone.
Don’t Miss: Data Strategy Vs Data Governance
Qualify Through National Verifier Application Website
Seniors may also determine their eligibility through the National Verifier application website and fill out the required fields.
Once you have filled out all the fields you will be provided with a list of service providers in your area. You will then contact one of these providers to apply to receive your Lifeline benefits program.
How To Access The Best Free Government Phones In Texas
Texas is among the wealthiest states in the USA. It perceived to be the home for many millionaires and billionaires of the world.
Like it is common to many other parts of the globe, Texas is still home to many poor people. Therere so many cases of unemployment in Texas and many low-income earners living in this magnificent state.
Thus, the government has partnered with the Lifeline Assistance program to raise hopes of the poor people living in Texas. The best free government cell phones are given to the low-income earners. Other than the free government phones there are also the discounted phones to people with narrow pockets. These measures have been taken as a way of government in partnership with lifeline assistance companies to help realize an increase in telecommunication services as desired.
If Texas is your home state here are the lifeline companies that offer free government phones with internet. Confirm your legitimacy to be enrolled under the Lifeline program and go for the best free government cell phones from these companies.
Also Check: Free Government Cell Phone Providers
Here Are Some Fast Facts Regarding Senior Citizens:
- 50% of senior citizens in the US are already dealing with at least two serious illnesses
- More than 40% of senior citizens over the age of 65 are part of minority groups
- 33% live in federal housing
- Less than 4% have access to a nursing home
- The senior citizen population is rapidly growing
These facts show that our beloved senior citizens need more federal assistance to give them a pleasant daily experience. One of the services they could use for that purpose is a means to communicate, brought about by the Lifeline Service. Free government cell phones become available after a few easy steps, and its without marketing gimmicks or tricks.
Is The Government Giving Out Free Cell Phones For Seniors
No, there are no free government phones being given out by the government to senior citizens.
However, Lifeline service providers are often giving senior citizens a FREE smartphone when they qualify for the Lifeline Program. So, you CAN get free cell phones but just not directly given out by the US government.
Recommended Reading: Government Home Refinance Stimulus Package
Affinity Cellular Plans 2021
- Affinity Cellular offers no-contract phone plans and allows you to change your plan at any time.
- You have a 45-day customer guarantee so if youre not satisfied you can get your money back.
- Affinity provides cellular service to AAA members for over 25 years.
- Affinity Cellular services run on the nations most reliable network to ensure good connectivity, with coverage extends to 98% of the households in the United States you will never pay roaming charges.
Minutes only plans
|$24||Unlimited Talk, Text|
- If you get the Freedom 10 plan you’ll pay monthly $10 per additional line.
- If you get any other plan you’ll pay monthly $14 per additional line.
ZTE 233 Cymbal Features and Specifications
- An easy-to-use flip phone.
Best Phone Plans And Devices For Seniors
Technology well suited for the 65+ crowd.
A growing number of seniors are embracing mobile tech. According to a Pew Research Center study more than three-fourths of the population 65 years and older have a cell phone. By jumping on the digital bandwagon seniors have found that they can stay better connected with loved ones, download their favorite content and reconnect with old friends.
With that in mind, here are some recommended phones, plans, and accessories for seniors who want to get the most out of whats available:
Recommended Reading: Government Mortgages For First Time Buyers
What Iphone Is Best For Seniors
iPhone XR. If you want a newer iPhone for the senior youre buying a handset for, the iPhone XR is a great choice, because its slightly more modern than the iPhone 8 Plus. It was the affordable device of its series, and Apple now uses it to bridge the gap between the iPhone 8 and newer handsets in terms of price.
Features Of Free Cell Phones For The Senior
Free cell phones for the senior and disabled are different from the normal free cell phone. I mean, phone providers always ensure that the elderly cell phone is designed with special features that are easy to use. These features are :
You May Like: Government Grants For Minority Startup Businesses