Search And Apply For Government Grants
To search or apply for grants, use the free, official website, Grants.gov. Commercial sites may charge a fee for grant information or application forms. Grants.gov centralizes information from more than 1,000 government grant programs. Itâs designed to help states and organizations find and apply for grants.
Common Government Grant Scam Techniques
Many are tricked, in part, because these government loan scams use real sounding names to fool people. Some of the scams use actual names of well known financial institutions and government agencies. If you go to their website it will probably look very respectable and sophisticated.
Designing a legitimate looking website is part of the scheme. If youre sent to a website for more information or to fill out forms it makes many people feel more comfortable with the whole deal. The part that fools people is that the website domains will be just a little bit different than those of the real financial or government websites.
Just different enough to trick you. Real government websites usually, but not always, have domains ending in .gov which is difficult to forge. Bear in mind that you can make a link say anything you want. Where that link takes you is another story. When the link says government-loans.gov but once clicked you are taken to government-loans.com you should be on your guard.
Scammers Have A Government Grant To Fix Anything
Government grant scams can show an uptick for all sorts of reasons catastrophic flooding in several communities created an opening for some scams, economic uncertainty triggered by the COVID pandemic continues and leaves many families struggling, and every day someone is dealing with losing a job or another financial challenge.
As students head back to college, scammers are promising to reduce your student debt by guaranteeing a hefty grant out of the blue. You want to be extra careful and search for complaints online. Contact your student financial aid office to make sure any potential grant is legitimate.
The problem is that the grants aren’t real and the scammers ask for money or Social Security numbers up front to start the ball rolling. Sometimes, scammers request personal information like a copy of your driver’s license.
The scammers, Nofziger said, usually want that money via gift cards, cryptocurrency or peer-to-peer payments like Zelle or Venmo.
You might feel safe when the message looks like it’s coming from a friend or relative but typically fraudsters have hacked into a Facebook page, she said, and then send a message impersonating someone you trust.
Many times, the victims who lose this money really need it to cover their expenses. But they’re encouraged to send what savings they have now to get a sizable grant.
“It’s definitely a problem and it’s really increased over the last couple weeks,” Nofziger said. “High dollar amounts.”
Also Check: Federal Government Grants For Dental Implants
Quick Facts About The Government Grant Process
- Government grant applications and information about them are free.
- The names of agencies and foundations that award grants are available for free at any public library or on the Internet.
- The only official access point for all federal grant-making agencies is www.grants.gov.
- There are no fees associated with applying for a government grant.
- ALL government grants involve an application process to carry out projects with a public purpose and are not intended for personal use.
- You will not be contacted by the government to make you pay for a grant.
If you think that someone has fraudulently represented Grants.gov or HHS, contact the HHS Fraud Hotline at 1-800-447-8477 and email .
Specific Reasons For Denial
- The applicant did not comply with vehicle registration, inspection, licensing, or liability insurance requirements before the disaster or failed to provide the vehicle registration at the time of the disaster.
- The damage to the vehicle was cosmetic only. Cosmetic damage is defined as damage that does not affect the drivability or safety of the vehicle in any way .
- The applicant or other household member is listed as an excluded driver on the insurance policy.
- The mechanic estimate provided does not indicate disaster-related damages to the vehicle and/or the estimate could not be verified.
- The applicant is referred to SBA and failed to apply, withdrew his/her application or refused part or the entire loan.
- The applicant has a usable vehicle that meets his or her needs for transportation.
- The applicant has comprehensive insurance that meets his essential needs.
- The applicant lives in a Coastal Barrier Resource System area.
- The applicant is requesting assistance with an insurance deductible.
You May Like: What Is Governance And Compliance
Supporting Mobilizing And Accelerating Research For Tuberculosis Elimination Program
Deadline: 31-Jan-22The United States Agency for International Development is seeking applications for a cooperative agreement from qualified entities to implement the Supporting, Mobilizing, and Accelerating Research for Tuberculosis Elimination program.Supporting, Mobilizing, and Accelerating Research for Tuberculosis Elimination will support research to evaluate approaches, interventions, and tools, including tuberculosis diagnostic tests, new tuberculosis about Supporting, Mobilizing and Accelerating Research for Tuberculosis Elimination Program
Read Also: City Of Las Vegas Government Jobs
Answers To Frequently Asked Questions
No online applications will be accepted.
When you call, it will take about 20 minutes to apply, and you can ask questions and receive the help you need with the application process.
Once you have applied for COVID-19 Funeral Assistance and received your FEMA application number, you may submit required documentation to FEMA in several ways:
- Upload documents to your DisasterAssistance.gov account
- Fax to: 855-261-3452
- Mail to: P.O. BOX 10001, Hyattsville, MD 20782
You may qualify if:
- You are a U.S. citizen, non-citizen national, or qualified alien who incurred funeral expenses on or after Jan. 20, 2020, and
- The funeral expenses were for an individual whose death in the United States, including the U.S. territories or the District of Columbia, may have been caused by, or was likely the result of, COVID-19.
- States, tribes, territories, businesses, organizations, and other entities are not eligible for COVID-19 Funeral Assistance.
- A minor child applying on behalf of an adult who is not a U.S. citizen, non-citizen national, or qualified alien cannot apply for COVID-19 Funeral Assistance.
- However, a minor child who is a U.S. citizen, non-citizen national, or qualified alien, can apply if they directly incurred funeral expenses for a COVID-19-related death and the documentation supports that assertion.
Also Check: Las Vegas Government Jobs
Don’t Miss: Government Program To Pay Off Mortgage
Here Are Five Ways To Spot A Grant Scam:
Read Also: Federal Grants For Dental Work
How The Grant Scam Works
Out of the blue, you will receive a call from a person claiming to represent a government grant association or a federal grant association. The caller will offer to help you get a government grant of somewhere in the neighborhood of $5000.00.
Youll be asked to pay a fee for their service. This fee could be any amount but its usually small enough in relation to the grant so as not to raise suspicion. The will also ask for your bank account number and perhaps your mothers maiden name, and any other information that they can use to bilk you out of your money.
Getting personal information out of you over the phone is typical of almost any telemarketing scam. Think twice before you give any out. If the person on the other end of the phone is a crook, youve got big problems.
Also Check: Government Dental Grants For Seniors
Recommended Reading: Irs Tax Exempt And Government Entities Division
Is A Fee Involved
Grant applications are usually free as they are sourced at the federal or state/county level with public funds. If you are asked to submit a fee to apply for the grant or learn more about it, theres good chance it is scam. Asking for an application fee is the number-one way scammers make their money.
Sydney Cbd Friday Voucher Program
The NSW Government has announced a new voucher program to encourage the community back into the Sydney CBD and support businesses impacted by COVID-19.
The program will offer 500,000 NSW residents 4 x $25 vouchers to spend at dining and entertainment venues in the Sydney CBD on Fridays.
Eligible COVID-Safe dining and entertainment businesses in the 2000 postcode will be able to register for the program in late 2021.
Well have more information available soon.
You May Like: Government Grants For Dental Implants
Recommended Reading: Does The Government Help First Time Home Buyers
Employment And Social Development Canada
- administers the regulations under the Canada Education Savings Act, the legislation that governs the Canada Education Savings Grant and the Canada Learning Bond
- validates the Social Insurance Numbers of beneficiaries
- processes the Canada Education Savings Grant, the Additional Canada Education Savings Grant, the Canada Learning Bond and provincial grant transactions
- determines eligibility, calculates and pays the Canada Education Savings Grant, Additional Canada Education Savings Grant, the Canada Learning Bond and designated provincial program administered by Employment and Social Development Canada
- maintains the Canada Education Savings Program system
- conducts compliance reviews
- assists in administering provincial education savings programs, such as the Alberta Centennial Education Savings Plan Grant, the Saskatchewan Advantage Grant for Education Savings and the British Columbia Training and Education Savings Grant.
Scammers Impersonate Your Best Friend Cousin Uncle
In some cases, hackers are trying to direct you to a website as part of the scam to gain control over your Facebook account and keep the impersonation scams going.
Consumer watchdogs also heard from one victim who ran into a government grant scam operated through a phony “Department of Health and Human Services” Facebook page. The woman had paid $4,000 to Agent Donna Twinn in 2021 to collect the promised grant, according to a new Consumer Federation of America report.
The Ohio woman never received any grant money.
“Her original call to us wasnt to report a scam but to see if we could prod the federal government to hurry up in paying her the grant funds,” according to the Ohio Cuyahoga County Department of Consumer Affairs.
Is the government really giving out grants to people to cover living expenses? No.
Some scammers claim free money or grants are available to pay for education, home repairs, home business expenses, household bills, or other personal needs, according to a warning from the Federal Trade Commission.
When we’re dealing with tragic disasters, such as the devastating flooding that took lives in eastern Kentucky, con artists impersonate agencies such as the Federal Emergency Management Agency. In such scams, the con artists might claim a fee is needed to be paid before relief money can be given.
Again, not true.
“Dont believe anyone who promises a disaster grant in return for payment,” according to FEMA.
Recommended Reading: Government Money For Small Business
How To Tell If A Government Grant Offer Is A Scam Or Legitimate
You get a call, email or letter from the federal government saying you are the winner of a free U.S. grant. All you have to do is pay a processing fee to receive the money.
How do you know if the grant offer is legitimate or a scam? In this situation, its wise to recall two adages: 1) If it appears too good to be true, it probably is, and 2) there is no such thing as a free lunch. According to the U.S. Department of Justice, FBI and other Federal Agencies, fake U.S. grant scams are on the rise across the country.
Who Offers Legitimate Grants
There are a few federal grant programs for for-profit companies and many state/county economic development financial assistance programs.
At the federal level, the SBA has disaster recovery grants think hurricanes Katrina and Sandy.
Also, some agencies like National Institutes of Health and the Defense Department participate in the Small Business Innovation Research program, which helps companies research tech innovations for possible commercialization in areas that are of interest to these agencies.
At the state/county level, there are many financial assistance programs that foster company and job creation in their respective geographic areas. These take the forms of loans, equity investments, and occasionally grants. Often they have matching requirements and, of course, accomplishing the purposes set out.
Also Check: How To Make A Government Email
Search Our Full Hvac Rebates Database
On this page, youll find general information about rebates currently available in different regions across Canada.
However, if youd like to access our full searchable database with detailed info on each rebate, including eligibility criteria, rebates for a variety of product types, and where to apply, you can access our database by creating a free FurnacePrices.ca account.
Otherwise, continue reading below for an overview of available HVAC government rebates by province and region
Considerations For Vehicles Registered To A Non
If the vehicle meets the requirement of liability insurance and is registered to a non-household member, verify if there is information within the file indicating the documented owner gave the vehicle to the applicant and the applicant is responsible for all maintenance, upkeep, fees, etc.
Examples Related to Vehicle Repair and Replacement: The following examples demonstrate that the lump sum payment method does not consider the value of the vehicle or any outstanding loans on the vehicle. The applicant would receive $550 for repairs based solely on the FEMA inspectorâs determination that the vehicle is need of repair.
Also Check: How To Become A Hacker For The Government
Send Money To Get Your Grant Funds
Hopefully, your email spam filter catches most of these, but theyre common, too. Youll get an email from an official-sounding organization alerting you that you have a large sum of money ready to be transferred to your bank account.
All you need to do to get your grant funds is send a payment, usually a few hundred dollars, to authorize the release of the fake money back to you. You end up with nothing, but the scammers end up with some cash and your bank account information.
You might have one of these scam emails sitting in your inbox. Image source: Author
California Small Business Covid
PLEASE NOTE: Lendistry is the sole entity designated as the Intermediary of the California Small Business COVID-19 Relief Grant Program . This site and the other websites available on or through this site are the only approved websites designated for the administration of the Program. Any other website purporting to administer or otherwise act as an Intermediary in connection with the Program may be fraudulent.As such, you should exercise extreme caution and avoid providing any information in connection with the Program on or through any website other than the Designated Sites. Further, neither Lendistry nor any of its partners will charge any fees to apply for a relief grant under the Program and we recommend that you avoid any third-parties purporting to charge fees for you to apply.
Round 7: Waitlisted applicants from certain previous rounds. Selection Window: Tuesday, August 3rd through Thursday, September 30th.
Eligible applicants: This is a closed round and only available to eligible applicants who were waitlisted in certain previous rounds only existing waitlisted applicants will be selected to move forward in the validation and verification review process. Selection does not guarantee approval or an award. If you were waitlisted, you do not need to reapply. New applications will not be accepted in this round.
Eligible grant award: $5,000 to $25,000
Details: This is a closed funding round no new applications will be accepted
Recommended Reading: Does The Government Give Free Cell Phones
Questions To Ask About A Legit Grant You Won A Legit Grant Now What
When you are the fortunate recipient of a legitimate U.S. grant, make sure you understand its purpose and requirements upfront.
- What can the money be used for? Most grants are not general-purpose funds, to be used for whatever the company determines. They are for specific purposes that meet the mission of the grantor. Make sure the grantors mission and you mission are in sync.
- What portion of the grant can be used for overhead? Grants are provided to undertake projects and activities. It takes administrative support to accomplish this, so make sure you understand what amount of the grant can be used for that.
- What is the timing of the payments? Many grants are provided upfront so the company has the funds in hand to pay for the work. However, some grants are paid when agreed-upon milestones are accomplished or when specific expenditures need to be reimbursed.
Youve Won Free Money Just Send Me $$$
No legitimate federal government employee would ever call you and tell you that you qualify or have been approved for a grant for which you never applied. Protect yourself from scammers that tell you that you need to pay a small processing fee to qualify to receive a grant for education costs, home repairs, home business expenses, or money for nothing grant offers.
You May Like: Does The Government Sell Student Loans