If Youve Been Scammed
If you think you may be a victim of a fraud or scam, there are some key steps you should take immediately to reduce your risk of losing more money, protect your personal information and avoid being scammed again.
- stop all communication with the fraudster or scammer
- report the scam or fraud to your local police, the Canadian Anti-Fraud Centre and any regulatory bodies
- notify financial institutions and other companies where you have an account that may have been affected
- avoid making any major financial decisions until you feel youve taken action to secure your accounts
- put an alert on your credit report by contacting a consumer reporting agency, such as Equifax Canada or TransUnion Canada
- gather all records you have of the fraud or scam, such as:
- correspondence with the scammer
- financial statements
- contact information the scammer used to contact you
- websites and social media accounts used for the scam
- any papers, marketing material or ads used for the scam
Customs And Border Protection
For questions and information regarding the U.S. Customs and Border Protection , please call the CBP INFO Center. The Center is open Monday-Friday between 9 a.m. and 4 p.m. EDT. You can ask your question via email or by calling 1-877-CBP-5511.
If you are outside the U.S. you must call 202-325-8000 or click here for additional information:
Telecommunications device for the hearing impaired: 1-800-877-8339 or
Office Of The Inspector General
The Inspector General Act of 1978 gave the Office of the Inspector General the authority to accept complaints from the Office of Personnel Management employees, contractors, and the public concerning criminal activity, fraud, waste, abuse, and mismanagement of OPM programs and operations.
The OIG Hotline is a component of the OIGs Office of Investigations, which oversees the hotline through which complaints and information are received. The OIG Hotline staff reviews and processes complaints that may or may not result in an investigation, audit, or inspection performed by the OIG or administrative action by an Operating Program Division of OPM.
As a result, the OIG Hotline helps ensure the proper and efficient use of taxpayer dollars for the American people.
Read Also: Access Wireless Replacement Phone
What Is A Grant Scam
The allure of so-called “free money” from the federal government has enabled scam artists to prey on people’s hopes by promising access to grants often for a fee. In reality, federal grants are rarely awarded to individuals seeking personal benefits, and applying for a grant is completely free.
How To Report Different Types Of Fraud
If people do something dishonest to get a payment or benefit from us, they’re committing fraud. We explain how to report any of these types of fraud:
If you think someones committing fraud, you should report it. You can do this in two main ways:
- over the phone by calling our Fraud tip-off line.
When you report fraud you need to report it in the right place. There are different forms to report different types of fraud. Make sure you use the right one.
We keep everything you tell us confidential and you can give an anonymous tip-off online or on the phone.
To report fraud online, you should:
- fill in as much of the form as possible
- give specific answers, as this will help our review processes
- tell us in the form if you dont know the answers to some questions.
Read Also: Free Budget Phone
How To Report Fraud Online
Please Note: Due to the Coronavirus pandemic and recommendations to practice social distancing, FraudNet staff are working remotely. As a result, we discourage submission of concerns via regular mail as this may cause a delay in our response. We strongly encourage you to submit your concern online so we may provide a more timely response and continue to serve the public.
Standard – You do not place any restrictions on the release of your contact information. If necessary, we may contact you for more information about your submission.Submitting allegations online through our website form is the preferred method. You have 3 filing preferences to choose from when submitting an allegation through our website:
Confidential – We will keep your name confidential and will not release your contact information. If necessary, we may contact you for more information about your submission.
Anonymous – You can remain anonymous and not provide your contact information. When selecting this option, there will be no way to contact you for more information about your submission.
We cannot accept classified information or files larger than 500mb when reporting allegations through our websiteplease call our hotline if you need to do so.
Report Fraud And Cybercrime
Scams and cybercrimes can happen to anyone, anywhere, at any time.
If you have been a victim of a scam, fraud or cybercrime, please contact your local police as soon as possible.
It is also recommended that you report the instance of a scam, fraud or cybercrime, whether you are a victim or not, to the CAFC.
Remember: It’s the role of your local police to investigate. The CAFC assists law enforcement through maintaining a central repository of information to assist with investigations. Learn more about the CAFC.
Miscellaneous Scams And Frauds
- All types of frauds: There are some NON-government organizations that can help: You can also report the problem to law enforcement agencies through the complaint form at the National Fraud Information Center/Internet Fraud Watch or 800-876-7060, TDD 202-835-0778. The information you provide helps to stop identity theft.
Providing Tax Fraud Information
With the exception of the international program, all other tips and information can be offered anonymously.
- Even if you do not make anonymous tips, the CRA is obligated to keep your identity private.
- Since any action taken by the CRA against fraudulent taxpayers is also confidential, the CRA will not inform you of any investigation, assessment or other action made as a result of your information.
Recommended Reading: City Of Warner Robins Ga Job Openings
Report Fraud Against The Federal Government
If you believe that you have knowledge of fraud against the Federal Government including fraud against other federally funded entities there are several ways to report this fraud. The most commonly used methods are by reporting the fraud to the Inspector General for the federal agency that has been defrauded, by notifying the Federal Bureau of Investigation , or by filing a qui tam action in federal court pursuant to the False Claims Act.1. Notify the federal agency harmedAll federal agencies have an Inspector General whose duties include investigating fraud committed against their agency. The Council of the Inspectors General on Integrity and Efficiency has provided the reporting tool available here to help whistleblowers report fraud to the appropriate Inspector General. In addition, CIGIE has compiled the directory available here of all federal agency Inspectors General with their hotline number and address to report fraud.
Pandemic-Related Fraud: If you are aware of fraud, waste, abuse, mismanagement of federal funding, or misrepresentations relating to the coronavirus pandemic response, including the federal financial assistance and stimulus programs, submit a hotline complaint online to the Pandemic Response Accountability Committee.
Health Care Fraud: To report health care fraud, call 1-800-HHS-TIPS or submit a hotline complaint online.
You Can Help Fight Fraudulent Activity
Every year, hundreds of billions of dollars are distributed in the form of federal grants to universities, local governments, organizations and individuals.
The vast majority of these funds are spent as intended, but misuse, deceit and abuse are nonetheless present. As a result, hundreds of thousand dollars go to waste.
Fraudulent behavior can take the form of embezzlement, theft, bribery or false claims and statements. Such violations of federal law are difficult to flag without the help of individuals inside the grant community.
Learn how you can help to stop fraudulent behavior and, thus, strengthen the integrity of the federal grant system and increase the overall efficiency of the government.
Recommended Reading: Government Jobs Hot Springs Ar
How To Protect Yourself
Dont be the victim of a scam. If it sounds too good to be true, it probably is. These scams can result in:
- identity theft
- theft from your bank account or credit card and
- computer viruses
- No one can guarantee you a job or a visa to Canada.
- Only immigration officers in Canada, at Canadian embassies, high commissions and consulates can decide to issue a visa.
- Processing fees are the same for all of our services in Canada and around the world.
- Fees in local currencies are based on official exchange rates.
- Theyre the same amount as fees in Canadian dollars.
What Is Grant Fraud
Grant fraud typically occurs when award recipients attempt to deceive the government about their spending of award money. Such behavior amounts to “lying, cheating and stealing,” according to the Department of Justice.
Recommended Reading: Best Careers For History Majors
Paycheck Protection Fund/economic Injury Disaster Loan/restaurant Revitalization Fund
Please visit to obtain information or file a complaint regarding the Small Business Administrations Paycheck Protection Program . Please visit to obtain information or file a complaint regarding the Small Business Administrations Economic Injury Disaster Loan . Please visit to obtain information or file a complaint regarding the Small Business Administrations Restaurant Revitalization Fund .
Read Also: City Jobs Las Vegas Nevada
How To Report Fraud
Fraudulent or suspicious activity can be reported to the Canadian Anti-Fraud Centre, through its website at www.antifraudcentre.ca, or by telephone at 1-888-495-8501.
Report instances of misleading or deceptive marketing practices to the Competition Bureau using the online complaint form or by telephone at 1-800-348-5358. If you are a victim of fraud, let your local police force know.
If you decide to file a complaint, it is important that you keep any evidence you may have related to your complaint. Evidence may include, but is not limited to, the following:
- cancelled cheques
- certified or other mail receipts
- chatroom or newsgroup text
- printed or electronic copies of emails
- printed or electronic copies of web pages
- wire receipts
- notes taken as events take place
Keep evidence items in a safe location in the event that you are requested to provide them. This information may form an important part of any investigation. The information you provide could be used as evidence during a prosecution.
- Date modified:
Read Also: Government Jobs Vegas
Report Fraud Waste Or Abuse Within Dhs
The Department of Homeland Security Office of Inspector General serves as an independent body to deter, identify and address fraud, abuse, mismanagement, and waste in DHS programs and operations. Findings and recommendations issued by the OIG add value to the Department and assist the Department in fulfilling its mission and goals.Based on the audit, investigations and inspections work, the OIG recommends ways for the Department to carry out its responsibilities in the most effective, efficient, and economical manner.
Learn more at www.oig.dhs.gov
Report Fraud Waste Or Abuse Of Government Funds Or Property To The Oig
To report suspected wrongdoing, please provide as much information as possible. For instance:
- Identify the city, town, agency or other public entity involved.
- Provide the name of individual involved, with their positions or titles.
- Explain the issue or concern in as much detail as possible, including the nature, location, scope and timeframe of the suspected wrongdoing.
- Provide us with information about other individuals who may have relevant information or documents, as well as their contact information.
Include copies of any related documents, photos or videos, which you can upload with this form or send to our office via or mail.
We will keep your identity confidential to the extent possible. In some cases it may be necessary to share your complaint if we need to refer the matter to a more suitable agency or work with another agency to investigate your complaint. Even so, your name will not be disclosed without your written consent. You will receive advanced notice from our office in the rare instance that we cannot avoid disclosure. Under Massachusetts law, all OIG records – including your tips and complaints – are confidential and exempt from the Public Records Law.
If you report suspected illegal activity, state whistleblower laws may protect your identity and also may protect you from an employer’s retaliation or intimidation.
Don’t Miss: Government Help For Legally Blind
On This Pageskip This Page Navigation
If you received an email from a sender posing as Public Health Ontario offering you next steps for signing up for a vaccine certificate or asking for your private health information: Do not open it or click on any links.
*A phishing scam is an attempt to deceive you into giving sensitive information to someone posing as an individual or company that you know .
Government Fraud Is A Crime Don’t Do It Don’t Tolerate It
Auditor of State Keith Faber takes the misuse and misappropriation of public money seriously, and is dedicated to raising awareness of the issue among all Ohioans.
Tips or complaints of fraud in Ohios governments may be made at any time by any public employee or private citizen. Fraud may be reported by using this website, U.S. Mail, the Auditor of States Fraud Hotline, and the Ohio Stops Fraud iPhone app.
Ohio Revised Code Section 117.103 requires all public employers to notify employees of the methods of reporting fraud, including doing so anonymously. New hires must, within 30 days of hire, verify in writing that they have been advised of the system, and the Auditor of States office will verify compliance with the law during regular audits. The Auditor of State’s office has created a Fraud Reporting Model Form to help employers comply with these statuorial requirments.
Also established in ORC §117.103 is a public log of fraud reports, which includes the date of the report, the entity complained of, the nature of the complaint and the status of the review of the complaint. See box at right.
Since 2011, the Auditor of State’s office has been involved in convicting more than 150 government officials of fraud or wrongdoing. Map locating these convictions.
Fraud Report Public Log
You May Like: Freegovernmentcellphones.net
Why You Should Report Fraud And Cybercrime
In order for law enforcement to combat fraud and cybercrime, it is essential that those who experience, or fall victim, report it to local police and the CAFC. Local police are positioned to investigate the incident and the CAFC supports law enforcement by sharing information collected through the reports.
Reasons to report to the CAFC:
- Information could link a number of crimes together, in Canada and abroad
- Information could progress or complete an investigation
- Reports show crime trends and allows for crime forecasting
- It helps law enforcement, private and public sector, academia etc. to learn about the crimes and help with prevention and awareness efforts
Note: The CAFC and NC3 work closely together and cybercrime reports given to the CAFC system, are shared with the NC3.
What Is Welfare Fraud
The federal government, as well as state and local governments, provide assistance in the form of public funds to help individuals afford basic living expenses. These programsoften referred to as welfare, public assistance, or public benefit programsprovide assistance to individuals who show need based on income, age, disability, or another status. Public assistance programs generally provide money, benefits, or support in obtaining food, clothing, housing, childcare, and health care.
The following are examples of federal government benefits programs.
- Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program
- Temporary Assistance for Needy Families
- Low Income Home Energy Assistance Program
- Childrens Health Insurance Program
States administer these federal programs and may offer their own public assistance programs as well. To ensure public funds are used for their intended purpose, a person must meet strict eligibility requirements. The states and the federal government impose criminal and other penalties on those who abuse the system. Abuse of the system constitutes welfare fraud.
You May Like: Jobs Hiring In Los Lunas
Phishing And Spoofed Websites
- Phishing and Spam: Internet Crime Prevention & Control Institute, a cooperative effort between Zero Spam Network Corp. and the University of Miami. Staffed by Miami undergraduate and graduate students and Zero Spam employees, works closely with the Secret Services Electronic Crimes Task Force and ISPs in the United States and abroad to identify and block traffic to machines hosting phishing sites.
Recommended Reading: Polk County Fl Forclosure